- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) minced garlic
- 450 g (1 lb) semi-lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 can refried beans (Old El Paso type) 398 ml
- chilli flakes to taste
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cumin
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) beef broth
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 12 18-cm (7-inch) tortillas
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) grated Monterey Jack
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) melted butter
Preheat oven 190C (375F).
In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Cooking onion & garlic for 1 min.
Add the beef and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Drain the meat if desired, then return the meat to the pan.
Add bell pepper, tomatoes, refried beans, chili flakes, cumin, broth and jalapeño. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has completely evaporated and the meat has lost its pink color. Remove from heat and let cool.
At the base of the tortillas, spread the beef preparation. Garnish with grated cheese. Fold the ends of the tortillas over the preparation, then roll up tightly.
Placing chimichangas on a parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with melted butter. Bake for 30 to 35 min.