Slow-Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- 6 servings
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1½ cups dried white beans, soaked in cool water overnight and drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Parmesan rind
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup short pasta (such as ditalini)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, roughly torn
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Place the tomatoes, onion, beans carrots, celery, garlic, Parmesan rind, white wine and broth in the bowl of a slow cooker.
2. Add the red pepper flakes, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. Turn the slow cooker on low and cook until the beans are tender, about 7 hours.
3. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Stir in the pasta and the kale. Turn the slow cooker to high and cook until the pasta is tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Stir in the parsley just before serving and garnish with the Parmesan.